The Disabled Peoples’ International (DPI) Human Rights Defenders Project (HRD), funded by the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) is aimed to positively influence the lives of persons with disabilities in mainly five CIDA Countries of Focus that have ratified the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD): Bangladesh, Jamaica Peru, Tanzania and Ukraine.
The Human Rights Defenders Project includes four components:
- Institutional strengthening of five national member organizations to monitor the Convention;
- Development and use of educational material to assist with the monitoring of the Convention;
- Publications, promotion and networking related to the rights of disabled people; and
- Data collection, reporting and monitoring related to disability issues.
Project Partner: National Grassroots Disability Organization (NGDO)
List of committee members, reports, surveys and information about other activities that are being undertaken in Bangladesh.
Project Partner: Combined Disabilities Association (CDA)
List of committee members, reports, surveys and information about other activities that are being undertaken in Jamaica.
Project Partner: Confederación Nacional de Discapacitados del Perú (CONFENADIP)
List of committee members, reports, surveys and information about other activities that are being undertaken in Peru.
Project Partner: SHIVYAWATA
List of committee members, reports, surveys and information about other activities that are being undertaken in Tanzania.
Project Partner: National Assembly of Persons with Disabilities (NAPD)
List of committee members, reports, surveys and information about other activities that are being undertaken in Ukraine.
As part of the Project, the countries will be undertaking the following activities:
- Establishing a Human Rights Defenders Committee that includes national experts, local partners and members of Human Rights Commissions to monitor the human rights of persons with disabilities, their lives and conditions and roles in different areas (e.g. education, employment, housing, transportation, access to justice, etc.)
- Forming a database of Human Rights Organizations (HROs) and Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) in the Project countries and include them in the Human Rights Committee and work together towards the inclusion of persons with disabilities in their domains.
- Surveys: Under the Project, two surveys will be implemented by the Project Partner in their respective countries: Survey for Persons with Disabilities and the Survey for Disabled Peoples’ Organizations (DPOs) on CRPD and other Human Rights instruments.
- Research papers on Access to Health, Education and Employment of Persons with Disabilities.
- Establishing relationship with the respective National Human Rights Commission for good governance.
- Collecting cases of Human Rights violations in the respective countries.
- Strategy plan for poverty eradication and universal design.
- Workshop on CRPD implementation in all five countries.
To view the tools developed by DPI for the HRD Projects, please click on the following links.
Tools for the CIDA HRD Project (Bangla):
- Poverty Reduction Strategy Paper – Basic Facts (231 KB)
- Shadow Reporting Guidelines – Basic Facts (169 KB)
- Universal Periodic Review – Basic Facts (228 KB)
- Survey for Persons with Disabilities (111 KB)
- Survey for Disabled Peoples’ Organizations (129 KB)
Site Counter 948